Mark your calendars for the 2nd Tuesday
of every month to attend a dynamic Human Resource Program!
The time of the program rotates each month, throughout the calendar quarter, generally* as follows::
*Note: Times may be altered for special presentations watch the newsletter and website for details.
| 1st Month of each Quarter - Morning Meeting: 7:30 am - 9:00 am|
| 2nd Month of each Quarter - Lunch Meeting: 11:30 am - 1:00 pm|
| 3rd Month of each Quarter - Evening Meeting: 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm|
General Monthly Meeting - Meeting Agenda Example:
|7:30 - 7:45 ||Registration & Networking|
|7:45 - 7:55 ||Announcements & Chapter Business|
|7:55 - 9:00 ||Speaker Introduction, Presentation & Questions|
MC-SHRM... A Dynamic, Growing Local Chapter - Affiliated with SHRM
"Superior Merit Award" Winning Chapter, Affiliated with The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), which is the World's Largest Association, Devoted to Human Resource Management and Including 190,000+ Members!
Locally, We Offer:
Networking & Professional Resources
- Monthly Meetings
- ...featuring Speakers on a Variety of HR Topics
- Workshops & Seminars
- ...emphasizing Education on Functional Areas of Human Resources
- Special Programs
- ...spotlighting Latest Trends Affecting Human Resource Professionals
- Professional Certification
- ...in Partnership with Rice University School of Continuing Studies, Increase Your Knowledge of Human Resource Management
and Prepare for the Professional Certification Exam, Administered by HRCI (Human Resource Certification Institute).
SHRM Learning System is Utilized. Discounted Rate is Offered to MC-SHRM Members. www.scs.rice.edu/hr
- Network with Your Peers
- ...Build Professional Relationships
- Legislative Updates
- ...Access Current Human Resource Information Affecting Local and National Workforce and Advising on the Latest Trends
- Take Action to Impact Legislative Issues
- ... Participate in Legislative Activities that Influence State and Federal Laws Affecting Your Worksite and Employees
- Volunteer to "Serve the Professional and Advance the Profession"
- Build a Professional Network
- ... Attend Meetings, Join a Committee, Get Involved
Click here for more program information
For more career services information, please see our Career Services page. To post your job listing or resume, please consider becoming a member.
||Tue. Oct 11, 2016
|| EMPLOYMENT LAW UPDATE
Emphasizing: Policies, Procedures, Leaves of Absence, FLSA Updates & Employment Agreements
EARN 1.00 RECERTIFICATION CREDIT - HRCI / SHRM =========================================
This presentation will address issues that companies and employers face when working to align company policies with actual practices and procedures. Common pitfalls to be addressed include: sick, vacation, and medical/maternity leaves. Best practices for employment agreements as well as non-compete agreements will be reviewed, based on recent changes. Additionally, pertinent updates to FLSA overtime exception laws will be discussed.
Participant Learning Objectives:
- Discover what your company is required to provide as far as sick leave, vacation time and medical/maternity leave
- Identify how your policies, procedures and standard practices may be violating laws which could lead to potential litigation
- Determine applicable updates to your company confidentiality, non-compete and non-solicitation agreements
PROFESSIONAL BIOGRAPHY FOR COURTNEY SHEAFFER:
Areas of Practice: General Business Litigation for a variety of domestic and international business entities including litigation involving the energy industry, contract disputes, collections, defamation and employment matters, as well as assisting businesses with contractor and subcontractor agreements, indemnity agreements and master services agreements. Employment Law and Employment Litigation for various business entities including breach of contract, misappropriation of confidential and propriety information, as well as the defense against FLSA, DOL and EEOC claims, wrongful termination,
discrimination and retaliation claims, and unemployment claims. Courtney also assists businesses with the preparation of employment agreements, non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, employee handbooks and policies & procedures.
Education and Experience: Graduated from Louisiana Tech University in 2005, Bachelor of Science, with a Major in Finance. Graduated from Louisiana State University School of Law in 2009 with a Juris Doctorate and Diploma of Civil Law. Licensed to practice law in Texas and Louisiana. Associate Attorney with Stibbs & Co., P.C. in The Woodlands, since February of 2012. Prior to that, Associate Attorney at the Law Offices of Jennifer Wherry in The Woodlands, TX and Briefing Attorney & Judicial Law Clerk for the Honorable Michael Pitman and the Honorable Frances Pitman, 1st Judicial District Court of Louisiana.
HRCI: This program has been submitted for pre-approval for 1.00 (General) recertification credit hour toward California, GPHR, HRBP, HRMP, PHR and SPHR recertification through HRCI. Visit www.hrci.org for more information. SHRM: MC-SHRM is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDC s) for SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. Visit www.shrm.org for more information ========================================= =========================================
MEETING FEE: Members: $15 - - - Prospective Members & Guests: $25
||7:30am - 9:00am (7:30am-7:45am Registration; 7:45am-7:55am Opening/Welcome; 7:55am-8:55am Program)
||Lone Star College-Montgomery Campus (Room B-102)
||Wed. Oct 5, 2016
||Courtney Sheaffer, Attorney
||Stibbs & Co.
- RSVP No Shows Will Be Billed